Harvard’s primary mission is to support teaching and learning activities. For this reason, the University has put in place a number of policies to ensure that students, faculty, and staff can pursue academic endeavors with as little hindrance as possible.
Photographers and videographers must request a permit to film or photograph the campus. Reporting, photographing, and videotaping are prohibited on campus without prior permission.
To apply for a permit, please review the University’s guidelines to ensure your request is feasible, and then fill out a permit request form. Please note that many of Harvard’s Schools have their own photography and filming policies. Media requests for access to Harvard Yard are also subject to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences filming policies. Filming restrictions include the following:
- Commercial filming is not allowed anywhere on campus
- Filming is not permitted inside of dormitories, cafeterias, or classrooms. Filming in these locations is considered inherently disruptive of the function of the University.
- No tripods are allowed in Harvard Yard.
- Permission must be secured in advance from students who appear in wide shots on campus.
- Due to trademark implications, any photography or videotaping which portrays official signs, insignia or emblems of Harvard University or its schools needs advance permission of the Trademark Office (exceptions are made for press that are invited to cover University events).
- Verbal consent must be obtained from students in advance who appear in wide shots on campus.
- Harvard students and faculty should contact their school’s communications office about filming on campus. Students and faculty may not engage in filming or photography on University property for the use of commercial purposes.
- Third parties using University facilities may not use the names and trademarks of Harvard University as props or to imply Harvard’s endorsement of the third party’s products, services, or organizations.
- Requests for Athletics filming should be directed to Harvard Athletics.
- Harvard University does not sign location release forms.
- HPAC does not provide parking. Commercial parking lots in Harvard Square can be found here.
- Filming from public spaces such as the Science Center Plaza, along the Charles River and public sidewalks is permitted (map of Harvard University). Please see the City of Cambridge’s filming policy for more details.
- To request a filming/photography permit, please click here.
- If you have questions about Harvard’s filming policies, please contact HPAC at (617) 495-1585.
- Harvard Public Affairs and Communications reserves the right to decline your request to film on campus if it is not considered in the best interest of the University.